A nuclear disaster brings indescribable misery in its wake with many dead and survivors’ health permanently affected by nuclear radiation. It is such a scary sight to see such devastation around whichever way we turn and to think it was all because of causes beyond our control only makes things worse. The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster was an accident at the nuclear energy plant induced by the Tsunami triggered by the Tōhoku earthquake on 11 March 2011 in Japan. A Polish photographer Arkadiusz Podniesinski travelled to Fukushima and took these haunting photographs.
Here we share 21 photos taken in Fukushima five years hence and which remains as a stark reminder of the extent of devastation and suffering experienced by the Japanese at that time.
1. A Japanese security personnel checks visitors for signs of radiation even five years since the disaster.
2. Silence is the saddest tune constantly playing in this music store now
3. Spiders must be the only residents of this store from all the cobwebs.
4. Grass badly in need of a trim grows freely around the tractor and car in this stilted house lying in a farmland.
5. This empty but brightly lit street looks hauntingly beautiful.
6. Dump sites with millions of contaminated soil sacks.
7. Many cars lie abandoned in a line in what must have been a road once upon a time and which is now covered in wild plants.